Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

PRMIA Exam 8006 Topic 6 Question 46 Discussion

Actual exam question for PRMIA's Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition exam
Question #: 46
Topic #: 6
[All Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition Questions]

Which of the following statements are true in respect of a fixed income portfolio:

1. A hedge based on portfolio duration is valid only for small changes in interest rates and needs periodic readjusting

II. A duration based portfolio hedge can be improved by making a convexity adjustment

III. A long position in bonds benefits from the resulting negative convexity

IV. A duration based hedge makes the implicit assumption that only parallel shifts in the yield curve are possible

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C

A hedge based on portfolio duration alone makes the assumption that the price/yield relationship is linear, and ignores the convexity or non-linearity of the price/yield relationship. As prices change beyond small changes, the non-linear effect kicks in, which can be offset by making a convexity adjustment to the hedge. Therefore statements I and II are correct.

Statement III is incorrect - negative convexity has an adverse effect on bond prices regardless of whether prices rise or fall.

Statement IV is correct, a bond hedge based on duration alone may be mismatched along the yield curve (eg, hedging a 10 year maturity bond with a 3 year futures contract, even though of identical total durations), which is based upon the implicit assumption that all rates will move together (ie parallel shifts).

Contribute your Thoughts:

Currently there are no comments in this discussion, be the first to comment!

Save Cancel