Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

NetApp Exam NS0-593 Topic 7 Question 42 Discussion

Actual exam question for NetApp's NS0-593 exam
Question #: 42
Topic #: 7
[All NS0-593 Questions]

After a motherboard replacement on a NetApp AFF A300 in a SAN environment, the customer states that ports 0e and 0f are unable to connect to the fabric. The ports report "offline".

What would you examine first to troubleshoot the issue?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

Here is my reasoning:

Thesystem node hardware unified-connect showcommand displays the status and configuration of the Unified Connect ports on a node1. This command can help you identify if the ports are configured correctly and if they have any errors or faults.

The ports 0e and 0f on the AFF A300 are 10GbE ports that support both Ethernet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) protocols2.These ports are part of the Unified Connect feature, which enables you to use the same physical port for different protocols without requiring additional hardware3.

If the ports are offline, it could indicate a problem with the port configuration, the cable connection, the switch configuration, or the protocol settings.Thesystem node hardware unified-connect showcommand can help you troubleshoot these issues by showing you the port mode, speed, duplex, state, and error count1.

The other commands in the options are not as helpful for troubleshooting the port issue, because they show different information that is not related to the Unified Connect feature or the port status. For example:

Thevserver fcp wwpn-alias showcommand displays the World Wide Port Name (WWPN) aliases for the Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP) logical interfaces (LIFs) on a Vserver4. This command can help you manage the FCP LIFs, but it does not show the status of the physical ports or the Unified Connect feature.

Thestorage port showcommand displays the status and configuration of the storage ports on a node5. This command can help you manage the storage ports, but it does not show the status of the Unified Connect ports or the FCoE protocol.

Thevserver fcp interface showcommand displays the status and configuration of the FCP LIFs on a Vserver6. This command can help you manage the FCP LIFs, but it does not show the status of the physical ports or the Unified Connect feature.

Here are some references that might help you:

1:system node hardware unified-connect show - NetApp2:AFF A300 system installation - NetApp3:Unified Connect - NetApp4:vserver fcp wwpn-alias show - NetApp5:storage port show - NetApp6:vserver fcp interface show - NetApp

Contribute your Thoughts:

Ressie
8 days ago
I don't know, that feels a bit like a red herring to me. I think we should stick to the hardware and port-level checks first before diving into the higher-level vserver configurations.
upvoted 0 times
Katheryn
10 days ago
You know, I'm really curious to see what the 'vserver fcp wwpn-alias show' command would reveal. That might give us some clues about the fabric connections.
upvoted 0 times
Joanne
11 days ago
Ah, yes, that's a good one! I was also considering the 'vserver fcp interface show' command, but I think the 'storage port show' is more likely to uncover the root cause here.
upvoted 0 times
Jesus
12 days ago
Hmm, I was thinking the 'storage port show' command would be a good starting point too. That should give us information on the SAN port configuration and status.
upvoted 0 times
Malcolm
15 days ago
I agree, the hardware is the first place to look. The 'system node hardware unified-connect show' command should give us some insights into the physical ports and their status.
upvoted 0 times
Rima
16 days ago
This is a tricky one. The ports are reporting as 'offline', so we need to start with the hardware layer and work our way up.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel