Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

IMANET CMA Exam - Topic 5 Question 107 Discussion

Posted by Dong on Feb 08, 2025 at 05:08 PM

Copeland Inc. produces X-547 in a joint manufacturing process. The company is studying whether to sell X-547 at the split-off point or upgrade the product to become Xylene. The

following information has been gathered:

I . Selling price per pound of X-547

II . Variable manufacturing costs of upgrade process

Ill . Avoidable fixed costs of upgrade process

IV . Selling price per pound of Xylene

V . Joint manufacturing costs to produce X-547

Which items should be reviewed when making the upgrade decision?

Suggested Answer: B

If the 8% return exactly equals the present value of the future flows ., NPV is zero), then simply determine the present value of the future inflows. Thus, Hopkins Company's initial cash outlay is $19,090 [($2,500)(PVIFA at 8% for 10 periods) + ($5J00)(PVlF at 8% for 10 periods ($2,500)(6.710) + ($5,000)(.463)].


Get Premium CMA Questions as Interactive Web-Based Practice Test or PDF Real Exam Format Detailed Explanations Instant Access Get Your Practice Test
33 comments · newest first
AU
Audry 10 months ago
Isn't it surprising they didn't mention the joint costs?
AL
Alethea 11 months ago
Totally agree with B, those are the key factors!
DU
Dusti 11 months ago
Wait, why would we ignore the joint costs? Seems off.
EL
Elena 11 months ago
I think we need to look at I, II, III, and IV.
EU
Eulah 11 months ago
Gotta consider I, II, and IV for sure!
SU
Sunny 12 months ago
I feel like we need to include the joint manufacturing costs since they impact overall profitability, but I’m not entirely confident about that.
EN
Ena 12 months ago
I practiced a similar question where we had to decide on upgrading a product, and I believe we focused on the incremental costs and revenues. That might help here too.
LE
Leatha 12 months ago
I think we should definitely look at the selling prices of both products, but I can't recall if avoidable fixed costs are always relevant in these scenarios.
JE
Jeannetta 1 year ago
I remember we discussed the importance of variable costs and selling prices in class, but I'm not sure if we need to consider joint manufacturing costs for this decision.
JA
Jaime 1 year ago
I feel pretty confident about this question. The information provided seems comprehensive, so I just need to carefully evaluate each factor and determine the most relevant ones for the upgrade decision.
LY
Lynda 1 year ago
This is a tricky one. There are a lot of moving parts, and I want to make sure I don't miss anything important. I'll need to methodically go through each data point and think through how it affects the analysis.
MA
Magnolia 1 year ago
Okay, I think I've got a handle on this. The key is to focus on the incremental costs and revenues between selling X-547 at the split-off point versus upgrading to Xylene. I'll need to compare those to make the best decision.
SH
Sherita 1 year ago
Hmm, I'm a little unsure about this one. There are a lot of different cost and revenue items to consider. I'll need to carefully review each one and think through how they impact the upgrade decision.
NO
Norah 1 year ago
This seems like a pretty straightforward decision analysis problem. I'll need to focus on the key financial information provided to determine the most relevant factors.
LI
Lizette 1 year ago
Haha, upgrade decision? More like a 'downgrade' decision if you ask me. Who wants to be stuck making Xylene when you could be producing the much cooler sounding X-547?
NO
Norah 1 year ago
Hmm, I'm leaning towards C. The joint manufacturing costs to produce X-547 could have a significant impact on the upgrade decision. We can't ignore that information.
BE
Beatriz 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
Definitely, we can't overlook any of those key elements. It's essential to weigh all the information carefully.
LE
Lelia 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
Agreed, those are all important factors to review. It's crucial to have a comprehensive understanding before making the upgrade decision.
CA
Caprice 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
Definitely, it's crucial to take all those items into account to make an informed decision about whether to sell X-547 at the split-off point or upgrade it to become Xylene.
VA
Val 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
I think C is the best option. We need to consider the selling price of X-547, variable manufacturing costs, selling price of Xylene, and joint manufacturing costs.
DE
Denae 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
I agree, those are all important factors to review. We can't overlook any of them when making the upgrade decision.
DE
Dewitt 1 year ago
↳ replying to Norah
I think C is the best option. We need to consider the selling price of X-547, variable manufacturing costs of the upgrade process, selling price of Xylene, and joint manufacturing costs to produce X-547.
YV
Yvonne 1 year ago
I'm not so sure. What about V, the joint manufacturing costs? Shouldn't that be factored in as well? This seems like a tricky decision with a lot of moving parts.
IO
Iola 1 year ago
↳ replying to Yvonne
I agree. It's important to take all factors into account before making a decision.
AU
Audrie 1 year ago
↳ replying to Yvonne
Yes, you're right. Joint manufacturing costs to produce X-547 should definitely be considered.
CH
Charlena 1 year ago
I'm not sure, I think we should also look at item V to fully understand the joint manufacturing costs.
FR
Francoise 2 years ago
Well, the obvious choice is B. We need to consider all the relevant costs and revenue information to make the upgrade decision, including the selling price of X-547, the variable and fixed costs of the upgrade process, and the selling price of Xylene.
HA
Han 1 year ago
↳ replying to Francoise
Actually, I think option B is the most comprehensive choice. We need to review all the necessary items before making a decision.
RA
Raina 1 year ago
↳ replying to Francoise
I'm leaning towards option C. We should also consider the joint manufacturing costs to produce X-547.
BR
Britt 1 year ago
↳ replying to Francoise
Agreed, we can't make an informed decision without considering all the relevant information.
SA
Sang 1 year ago
↳ replying to Francoise
I think option B is the best choice. We need to look at all the costs and revenue involved in the upgrade decision.
BE
Bea 2 years ago
I agree with Myong. Those are the key factors to consider for the upgrade decision.
MY
Myong 2 years ago
I think we should review items I, II, and IV only.
0/2000 characters

Save Cancel