Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam SY0-701 Topic 1 Question 10 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's SY0-701 exam
Question #: 10
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-701 Questions]

In order to strengthen a password and prevent a hacker from cracking it, a random string of 36 characters was added to the password. Which of the following best describes this technique?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

Adding a random string of characters, known as a 'salt,' to a password before hashing it is known as salting. This technique strengthens passwords by ensuring that even if two users have the same password, their hashes will be different due to the unique salt, making it much harder for attackers to crack passwords using precomputed tables. Reference: CompTIA Security+ SY0-701 course content and official CompTIA study resources.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Ricarda
4 days ago
Hold on, key stretching is a different thing entirely. I think the answer has to be D) Salting. Adding a random string to the password is a classic salting technique, and it's specifically designed to prevent cracking attempts.
upvoted 0 times
Yuriko
5 days ago
Hmm, I don't think tokenization is the right answer here. This seems more like a case of key stretching to me. Key stretching is a technique that increases the computational effort required to crack a password, making it much harder for a hacker to succeed.
upvoted 0 times
Vivienne
6 days ago
I'm not so sure about that. Salting is a good technique, but I think this question might be asking about something a bit different. What about B) Tokenization? That's where you replace sensitive data with a non-sensitive placeholder, which could also help protect the password, no?
upvoted 0 times
Ben
7 days ago
Ah, this question is interesting! Adding a random string to a password is definitely a technique to strengthen it and prevent cracking. I think the best answer here is D) Salting. Salting is the process of adding a random string to the password to make it more unique and harder to crack using brute-force or dictionary attacks.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel