Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Juniper Exam JN0-105 Topic 7 Question 8 Discussion

Actual exam question for Juniper's JN0-105 exam
Question #: 8
Topic #: 7
[All JN0-105 Questions]

Which protocol is responsible for learning an IPv4 neighbor's MAC address?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is a fundamental protocol used in IPv4 networking to map an IP address to its corresponding MAC (Media Access Control) address. When an IPv4 device wants to communicate with another device on the same local network, it uses ARP to find out the MAC address associated with the target device's IP address. This ensures that IP packets can be encapsulated into Ethernet frames and delivered to the correct hardware address on the local network segment. ARP does not apply to IPv6, where Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) performs a similar function.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Talia
8 days ago
NAT? No way, that's got nothing to do with MAC addresses. This is clearly an ARP or NDP question.
upvoted 0 times
Anjelica
10 days ago
Hmm, I'm not so sure. Isn't NAT the one that translates IP addresses? I feel like that might be related to this question somehow.
upvoted 0 times
Ettie
11 days ago
Oh yeah, you're right! I think it's called Neighbor Discovery Protocol, or NDP. That's the IPv6 version of ARP.
upvoted 0 times
Marshall
12 days ago
ARP? Really? I thought that was just for IPv4. Isn't there a different protocol for IPv6?
upvoted 0 times
Glendora
14 days ago
Come on, this is easy! It's got to be ARP. That's the one that resolves MAC addresses, right?
upvoted 0 times
Aleshia
16 days ago
Ugh, I hate questions about protocols! It's like they're trying to see how many random acronyms we can memorize.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel