Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 212-81 Topic 7 Question 29 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 212-81 exam
Question #: 29
Topic #: 7
[All 212-81 Questions]

Which method of password cracking takes the most time and effort?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C

Brute force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack

A brute-force attack consists of an attacker submitting many passwords or passphrases with the hope of eventually guessing correctly. The attacker systematically checks all possible passwords and passphrases until the correct one is found. Alternatively, the attacker can attempt to guess the key which is typically created from the password using a key derivation function. This is known as an exhaustive key search.

A brute-force attack is a cryptanalytic attack that can, in theory, be used to attempt to decrypt any encrypted data (except for data encrypted in an information-theoretically secure manner). Such an attack might be used when it is not possible to take advantage of other weaknesses in an encryption system (if any exist) that would make the task easier.

Incorrect answers:

Rainbow tables -is a precomputed table for caching the output of cryptographic hash functions, usually for cracking password hashes. Tables are usually used in recovering a key derivation function (or credit card numbers, etc.) up to a certain length consisting of a limited set of characters.

Dictionary attack -is a form of brute force attack technique for defeating a cipher or authentication mechanism by trying to determine its decryption key or passphrase by trying thousands or millions of likely possibilities, such as words in a dictionary or previously used passwords, often from lists obtained from past security breaches.

Shoulder surfing -is a type of social engineering technique used to obtain information such as personal identification numbers (PINs), passwords and other confidential data by looking over the victim's shoulder, either from keystrokes on a device or sensitive information being spoken and heard, also known as eavesdropping.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Stephaine
5 days ago
You know, I've heard that shoulder surfing can be surprisingly effective, especially in this day and age where everyone's glued to their phones. Just casually peek over someone's shoulder while they're typing in their password, and boom - you're in!
upvoted 0 times
Omega
7 days ago
Hmm, I'm not too familiar with the specifics, but I'd imagine a brute force attack would be the most labor-intensive. Though I suppose it also depends on the complexity of the password. If it's a simple 4-digit PIN, that might not take as long as a 15-character alphanumeric password.
upvoted 0 times
Sherell
8 days ago
Ah, the old password cracking conundrum! I'd have to go with brute force as well. Though I can just imagine the person trying a brute force attack, banging their head on the desk after the hundredth failed attempt. 'Why won't this work?!'
upvoted 0 times
Lindsay
9 days ago
I'm not so sure. I've heard that rainbow tables can be pretty effective, and they're supposed to be pretty efficient too. Though I guess it depends on the size of the table and the computing power you have.
upvoted 0 times
Leonie
11 days ago
I agree with Elbert. Brute force seems like the most tedious and time-consuming method, trying every possible combination. The other options, like dictionary attacks and shoulder surfing, seem a bit more straightforward.
upvoted 0 times
Elbert
13 days ago
Hmm, this seems like a tricky question. I'm not too sure about the specifics of password cracking techniques, but I think a brute force attack would take the most time and effort.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel