Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 112-51 Topic 1 Question 6 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 112-51 exam
Question #: 6
Topic #: 1
[All 112-51 Questions]

Jay, a network administrator, was monitoring traffic flowing through an IDS. Unexpectedly, he received an event triggered as an alarm, although there is no active attack in progress.

Identify the type of IDS alert Jay has received in the above scenario.

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

A false positive alert is a type of IDS alert that occurs when the IDS mistakenly identifies benign or normal traffic as malicious or suspicious, and triggers an alarm, although there is no active attack in progress. A false positive alert can be caused by various factors, such as misconfigured IDS rules, outdated signatures, network anomalies, or legitimate traffic that resembles attack patterns. A false positive alert can waste the time and resources of the security team, as they have to investigate and verify the alert, and also reduce the trust and confidence in the IDS. A false positive alert can be reduced by tuning and updating the IDS, filtering out irrelevant traffic, and using multiple detection methods. A false positive alert is the type of IDS alert Jay has received in the above scenario, as he received an event triggered as an alarm, although there is no active attack in progress. Reference:

False Positive Alert - Week 10: Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems

What is a False Positive in Cybersecurity?

How to Reduce False Positives in Intrusion Detection Systems

Contribute your Thoughts:

Lashandra
5 days ago
Hmm, I don't know. This is making my head spin. Can we get a clarification on the definitions of these terms? I want to make sure I understand it before I commit to an answer.
upvoted 0 times
Kris
7 days ago
Ooh, good point. I think you might be right. A true negative would be when the IDS correctly identifies that there's no threat, which is what's happening here. I'm leaning towards that as the answer.
upvoted 0 times
Daisy
8 days ago
Wait, hold on. Isn't a false positive when the IDS detects a threat that's not actually there? In this case, it seems like the IDS is picking up something, even though there's no attack. Shouldn't that be a true negative alert?
upvoted 0 times
Rikki
9 days ago
Yeah, I think you're on the right track. Since there's no active attack, it must be a false positive alert. The IDS is triggering an alarm even though there's no actual threat.
upvoted 0 times
Alishia
11 days ago
Well, from what I understand, a true positive alert means the IDS correctly identified a real threat. But if there's no active attack, then it can't be a true positive, right?
upvoted 0 times
Nakita
12 days ago
Hmm, this seems like a tricky one. I'm not entirely sure about the difference between true positive, false positive, and the other options. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel