Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CFA Institute CFA-Level-II Exam - Topic 2 Question 17 Discussion

Posted by Yvonne on May 06, 2022 at 03:40 PM

Charles Mabry manages a portfolio of equity investments heavily concentrated in the biotech industry. He just returned from an annual meeting among leading biotech analysts in San Francisco. Mabry and other industry experts agree that the latest industry volatility is a result of questionable product safety testing methodologies. While no firms in the industry have escaped the public attention brought on by the questionable safety testing, one company in particular is expected to receive further attention---Biological Instruments Corporation (BIC), one of several long biotech positions in Mabry's portfolio. Several regulatory agencies as well as public interest groups have heavily criticized the rigor of BIC's product safety testing.

In an effort to manage the risk associated with BIC, Mabry has decided to allocate a portion of his portfolio to options on BIC's common stock. After surveying the derivatives market, Mabry has identified the following European options on BIC common stock:

Mabry wants to hedge the large BIC equity position in his portfolio, which closed yesterday (June 1) at $42 per share. Since Mabry is relatively inexperienced with utilizing derivatives in his portfolios, Mabry enlists the help of an analyst from another firm, James Grimell.

Mabry and Grimell arrange a meeting in Boston where Mabry discusses his expectations regarding the future returns of BIC's equity. Mabry expects BIC equity to make a recovery from the intense market scrutiny but wants to provide his portfolio with a hedge in case BIC has a negative surprise. Grimell makes the following suggestion:

"If you want to avoid selling the BIC position and are willing to earn only the risk-free rate of return, you should sell calls and buy puts on BIC stock with the same market premium. Alternatively, you could buy put options to manage the risk of your portfolio. I recommend waiting until the vega on the options rises, making them less attractive and cheaper to purchase."

If the premium on Put D on November 1 is $3.18, which of the following has most likely occurred?

Suggested Answer: B

The premium on Put D has risen from $2.31 to $3.18 and there is srill time left until expiration. Therefore, the increase in value must have come from either a decrease in stock price, an increase in volatility, or both of these events. Choice A would be correct if the option was at expiration and the $3.18 represented only intrinsic value. Since we are not yet at the expiration date, the stock price must be above $26.82. A negative earnings surprise would most likely cause a drop in the market price of the stock. Since there is no indication of the exact amount of the drop in price, the premium observed is a possibility. A decrease in BIG volatility would reduce the put premium, not increase it. (Study Session 17, LOS 60.d)


Get Premium CFA-Level-II Questions as Interactive Web-Based Practice Test or PDF Real Exam Format Detailed Explanations Instant Access Get Your Practice Test
7 comments · newest first
JO
Jolanda 11 months ago
Did BIC really have a negative earnings surprise?
OS
Osvaldo 11 months ago
Wait, how can we be sure the options will get cheaper?
MA
Marsha 12 months ago
Totally agree, the volatility is concerning!
SH
Sherly 12 months ago
Selling calls and buying puts sounds risky.
ME
Melissa 12 months ago
BIC stock closed at $42 yesterday.
JO
Johnathon 1 year ago
This looks like a straightforward true/false question. I'm pretty confident I can answer this based on my understanding of the RemoteApp feature.
MO
Mozelle 1 year ago
Okay, I think I've got this. The key is to enable DNS Sinkholing and Passive DNS Monitoring, and the question is asking which profile to start with and deploy. I'll go with option A to be on the safe side.
0/2000 characters

Save Cancel