Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

PRMIA Exam 8006 Topic 1 Question 84 Discussion

Actual exam question for PRMIA's Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition exam
Question #: 84
Topic #: 1
[All Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition Questions]

Calculate the settlement amount for a buyer of a 3 x 6 FRA with a notional of $1m and contract rate of 5%. Assume settlement rate is 6%.

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C

An m x n FRA is an agreement to borrow money for a period starting at time m and ending at time n at the contracted rate. Therefore, the buyer of the 3 x 6 FRA has committed to borrow $1m at the beginning of 3 months and return it at the end of 6 months, ie a total borrowing period of 3 months at a rate of 5%. Of course, the $1m is never actually exchanged, and at the beginning of the 3 month period when the next three months' interest rate is known (6%), the parties merely exchange the difference in the interest. SInce this interest was only due at the end of the 6 months and is being exchanged at the 3 month time point, it will have to be discounted to its present value.

The correct answer to this question is =(1,000,000 * (6% - 5%) * 3/12)/(1 + (6%*3/12))=$2463.05. Since interest rates rose, the borrower gained as he has the right to borrow at a lower rate, and therefore the seller will pay the borrower.

(Here:

- $1m is the notional

- 6% - 5% represents the difference between the contracted and the realized interest rates

- 3/12 is the 3 month period from month 3 to 6

- Finally, we divide by the current interest rate for 3 months to present value the payment from month 6 to month 3)

Contribute your Thoughts:

Dean
9 days ago
Hmm, you know what, I think you're both right. The question is a bit ambiguous - it doesn't specify whether the buyer receives or pays the settlement amount.
upvoted 0 times
Florinda
11 days ago
Wait, I think you're on the right track, but the formula is a bit different. Isn't it (settlement rate - contract rate) * notional * time period? That would make the answer $-2,500, so the buyer would pay $2,500.
upvoted 0 times
Blondell
12 days ago
Right, so the settlement amount should be the difference between the contract rate and the settlement rate, multiplied by the notional and the time period. That would be (6% - 5%) * $1 million * (3/12) = $2,500.
upvoted 0 times
Shala
13 days ago
Okay, let's think this through step-by-step. We have a 3 x 6 FRA, which means a 3-month contract with a 6% settlement rate. The notional is $1 million and the contract rate is 5%.
upvoted 0 times
Stevie
15 days ago
Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about this one too. I think we need to really break down the variables and formula to figure out the right answer.
upvoted 0 times
Angella
17 days ago
Whoa, this FRA question seems pretty tricky. I'm not sure I fully understand how to calculate the settlement amount here.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel