Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

PRMIA Exam 8006 Topic 1 Question 61 Discussion

Actual exam question for PRMIA's Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition exam
Question #: 61
Topic #: 1
[All Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets ? 2015 Edition Questions]

Which of the following statements are true:

1. A total return swap (TRS) helps gain an exposure without having to fund a long position

II. A short position in a corporate bond can be covered using a repo

III. A total return swap (TRS) is useful to eliminate counterparty risk

IV. A bank borrowing funds using a repo continues to hold the underlying assets on its balance sheet

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

A total return swap allows an investor or a financial institution to gain exposure to an asset or a portfolio without actually having to go long in those positions. The counterparty provides the return from the exposure and receives LIBOR plus a spread in exchange. Effectively, the counterparty has funded the investor's position for a fixed interest rate, therefore a TRS is essentially a funding arrangement. However, the structure of a TRS may also have other consequences that are relevant for tax and accounting - the assets under a TRS are not held on the balance sheet of the investor receiving the total return. Statement I is correct as the TRS helps gain an exposure without having to fund the position with cash.

Repos are useful for shorting corporate bonds. The investor desirous of shorting a corporate bond would sell the bond in the market, and immediately borrow the bond from someone else using a repo to deliver to the party he has sold the bond to. Repos are used extensively to cover short bond positions, and therefore statement II is correct.

Statement III is not correct as counterparty risk continues to exist with a TRS. The counterparty may fail to provide the agreed returns, and the risk exists.

Statement IV is correct as the bank that borrows funds using a repo continues to hold the underlying assets on its balance sheet. Therefore Choice 'd' is the correct answer.

Comments

Currently there are no comments in this discussion, be the first to comment!

Save Cancel