Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CWNP Exam CWAP-404 Topic 1 Question 7 Discussion

Actual exam question for CWNP's CWAP-404 exam
Question #: 7
Topic #: 1
[All CWAP-404 Questions]

How does a VoIP Phone, using WMM Power Save, request data frames buffered at the AP?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

A VoIP phone, using WMM Power Save, requests data frames buffered at the AP by transmitting a trigger frame, which is a QoS Null frame or a QoS Data frame. WMM Power Save is a power saving mode that allows a STA (station) to conserve battery power by periodically sleeping and waking up. WMM Power Save is based on WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia), which is a QoS (Quality of Service) enhancement that provides prioritized and differentiated access to the medium for different types of traffic. When a STA sleeps, it cannot receive any data frames from the AP, so it informs the AP of its power save status by setting a bit in its MAC header. The AP then buffers any data frames destined for the sleeping STA until it wakes up. When a STA wakes up, it sends a trigger frame to the AP, indicating its AC (Access Category), which is a logical queue that corresponds to its QoS level. A trigger frame can be either a QoS Null frame or a QoS Data frame, depending on whether it has any payload or not. The AP then responds with one or more data frames from the same AC as the trigger frame, followed by an ACK or BA (Block Acknowledgement) frame from the STA. The other options are not correct, as they are not used by a VoIP phone using WMM Power Save to request data frames buffered at the AP. A PS-Poll (Power Save Poll) frame is used by a STA using legacy power save mode, not WMM Power Save mode, to request data frames buffered at the AP. A PS-Poll frame does not indicate any AC or QoS information. Setting the More Data bit in the MAC header to 1 does not request any data frames from the AP, but indicates that there are more data frames to be sent by the STA or received by the STA. Transmitting a WMM Action frame does not request any data frames from the AP, but performs various management actions related to WMM features, such as admission control, parameter update, etc.Reference:[Wireless Analysis Professional Study Guide CWAP-404], Chapter 7: QoS Analysis, page 198-199

Contribute your Thoughts:

Daryl
11 days ago
Wait, wait, wait. Option C, the WMM Action frame, that's got to be the right answer, right? I mean, it's specifically mentioning WMM, so it's gotta be the correct way to do this.
upvoted 0 times
Dorthy
13 days ago
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Option B also seems like a valid choice, where the VoIP phone sets the More Data bit in the MAC header to 1 to indicate that it has more data to receive.
upvoted 0 times
Hershel
14 days ago
I'm going with option D. The VoIP phone should transmit a trigger frame, which is either a QoS Null frame or a QoS Data frame. That seems to be the most logical way to request the buffered data frames.
upvoted 0 times
My
15 days ago
Okay, let's think this through step-by-step. A VoIP phone is using WMM Power Save, so it needs to request data frames buffered at the AP. The options seem to be related to different types of frames, so we need to figure out which one is the correct way to do this.
upvoted 0 times
Felicitas
17 days ago
Ugh, I hate questions about VoIP and WMM Power Save. It's like they're trying to confuse us with all these technical details.
upvoted 0 times
Lashawna
18 days ago
Hmm, this question seems a bit tricky. I'm not entirely sure about the correct answer, but I'll give it my best shot.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel