Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam XK0-005 Topic 6 Question 22 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's XK0-005 exam
Question #: 22
Topic #: 6
[All XK0-005 Questions]

Joe, a user, is unable to log in to the Linux system. Given the following output:

Which of the following commands would resolve the issue?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

The commandpam_tally2 -u joe -rwill resolve the issue of Joe being unable to log in to the Linux system. Thepam_tally2command is a tool for managing the login counter for the PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) system. PAM is a framework for managing authentication and authorization on Linux systems. PAM allows the administrator to define the rules and policies for accessing various system resources and services, such as login, sudo, ssh, or cron. PAM also supports different types of authentication methods, such as passwords, tokens, biometrics, or smart cards. PAM can be used to implement login restrictions, such as limiting the number of failed login attempts, locking the account after a certain number of failures, or enforcing a minimum or maximum time between login attempts. Thepam_tally2command can display, reset, or unlock the login counter for the users or hosts. The-u joeoption specifies the user name that the command should apply to. The-roption resets the login counter for the user. The commandpam_tally2 -u joe -rwill reset the login counter for Joe, which will unlock his account and allow him to log in to the Linux system. This will resolve the issue of Joe being unable to log in to the Linux system. This is the correct command to use to resolve the issue. The other options are incorrect because they either do not unlock the account (usermod -s /bin/bash joeorpasswd -u joe) or do not affect the login counter (chage -E 90 joe).Reference:CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-005) Certification Study Guide, Chapter 17: Implementing Basic Security, page 517.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Stephane
8 days ago
Haha, good one! Or maybe he's been watching too many hacking movies and thinks he can just type 'sudo su' to get in.
upvoted 0 times
Johna
9 days ago
Haha, maybe Joe forgot his password and is now trying to log in as a guest, like 'Guest123'!
upvoted 0 times
Shayne
10 days ago
Hmm, I'm not sure about option B, 'pam_tally2 -u joe -r'. That looks like it might reset the failed login attempt counter, but I'm not entirely sure how that would resolve the issue here.
upvoted 0 times
Raul
11 days ago
Same here. I'm a bit skeptical about that one. As for option D, 'chage -E 90 joe', that seems like it might change the user's password expiration date, but I'm not sure if that's directly relevant to the login problem.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel