Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam SK0-005 Topic 1 Question 50 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's SK0-005 exam
Question #: 50
Topic #: 1
[All SK0-005 Questions]

A technician replaces a single faulted disk in the following array RAID 10, Four 15K SAS HDD The technician replaces it from a disk in spare parts, and the array rebuilds the data in a few minutes. After the array rebuild is complete, the system reports the IOPS on the disk array have dropped by almost 60% Which of the following should the technician investigate first?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C

In RAID 10 arrays, disk performance is crucial, especially if they are high-speed 15K RPM SAS HDDs, as each disk in the array is part of a mirrored pair that also stripes data with another pair. When replacing a disk, it's essential that the new disk matches the specifications of the others, especially in terms of rotational speed (RPM). If the replaced disk is slower, it can significantly reduce the Input/Output operations per second (IOPS) of the entire array. This is because all disks need to work in tandem, and the slowest disk can become a bottleneck. Thus, checking the RPM of the newly replaced disk is a sensible first step to ensure it matches the performance of the other disks in the array.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Lawana
7 days ago
Wait, wait, wait. Did anyone consider the RAID controller's cache settings? If those got messed up during the rebuild, that could also lead to a major IOPS drop. Definitely worth checking out.
upvoted 0 times
Leota
7 days ago
You know, I'm just curious, has anyone ever tried turning the RAID array off and back on again? That's like the IT version of 'have you tried turning it off and on again?'
upvoted 0 times
Stephanie
8 days ago
Hmm, I don't know. The firmware version might be a good place to start too. If it's not compatible with the array, that could definitely cause some issues.
upvoted 0 times
Casandra
9 days ago
Hmm, good point. The cache settings on the RAID controller are definitely worth investigating. We don't want to overlook the obvious.
upvoted 0 times
Jolanda
9 days ago
True that, Dusti. Though I guess we'll have to wait and see what the technician finds. I just hope they don't end up having to replace the whole array. That would be a real headache.
upvoted 0 times
Latrice
10 days ago
Hold on, what if it's a caching issue with the RAID controller? That could also cause a significant IOPS drop.
upvoted 0 times
Dusti
10 days ago
Haha, good point David. Though if I had to bet, I'd still put my money on the RPM speed. Can't beat good old-fashioned raw performance, am I right?
upvoted 0 times
Gerardo
11 days ago
Yeah, I'm leaning towards checking the RPM speed on the new disk. That could definitely impact the overall IOPS of the array.
upvoted 0 times
Lavera
13 days ago
I think it might have something to do with the new disk that was used to replace the faulted one. The firmware version or RPM speed could be the culprit.
upvoted 0 times
Rozella
15 days ago
Wow, this question is tricky! I'm not sure what to make of it. The IOPS drop by 60% after the rebuild, so something is definitely going on.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel