Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam N10-008 Topic 1 Question 49 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's N10-008 exam
Question #: 49
Topic #: 1
[All N10-008 Questions]

A technician is troubleshooting servers with high CPU usage. While trying to connect, the technician needs to open a port for remote access. Which of the following ports should the

technician open?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

Port 5900 is the default port used by Virtual Network Computing (VNC), a graphical desktop-sharing system that allows remote access to another computer's screen, keyboard and mouse1. VNC is one of the tools that can be used for remote troubleshooting of servers with high CPU usage, as it enables the technician to see the server's desktop and perform actions on it. Port 5900 is also one of the ports listed in the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 exam objectives under the section '1.4 Given a scenario, use appropriate software tools to troubleshoot connectivity issues'2.

The other ports are not commonly used for remote access. Port 443 is used for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS), a secure version of HTTP that encrypts the communication between a web browser and a web server3. Port 3321 is used for Telepathy Broker Service, a service that provides communication between applications and telephony devices4. Port 8080 is used for HTTP Alternate, an alternative port for HTTP that is often used by web servers for testing or proxy purposes5.

Reference

1: Port 5900: What Is It Used for & How to Open It for RDP

2: Network+ (Plus) Certification | CompTIA IT Certifications

3: [What is HTTPS? - Definition from WhatIs.com]

4: [Telepathy Broker Service - Port 3321 - TCP/UDP]

5: [What is Port 8080? Why do some processes use this port?]

Contribute your Thoughts:

Dorsey
7 days ago
Port 8080? Really? That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? If I was the technician, I'd just go with the tried and true 5900 and be done with it.
upvoted 0 times
Anjelica
7 days ago
Haha, you all sound like you're trying to hack into the servers or something. Just kidding, but seriously, I think port 3321 is the way to go. It's not a common port, so it might be more secure, and it's not likely to be in use already.
upvoted 0 times
Mila
8 days ago
You guys are overthinking this. Why not just go with port 8080? It's a common alternative to the standard HTTP port 80, and it's often used for web-based management tools. Seems like a simple solution to me.
upvoted 0 times
Albert
9 days ago
You guys are all overthinking this. Why not just go with port 8080? It's a common port used for web servers, so it's probably not being used for anything else on the servers.
upvoted 0 times
Novella
9 days ago
Really? I was thinking port 443 would be the way to go. That's the standard port for HTTPS, and it's often used for secure remote access. Plus, it's usually allowed through firewalls, so it might be the most reliable option.
upvoted 0 times
Catarina
10 days ago
I see what you mean, Rene, but in this case, the technician is just trying to troubleshoot the servers, not necessarily establish a long-term remote connection. Port 5900 is fine for that purpose.
upvoted 0 times
Angelo
10 days ago
Hmm, this is a tricky one. We need to open a port for remote access to troubleshoot the servers with high CPU usage. I'm thinking port 5900 might be the best option since that's usually used for remote desktop protocols like VNC.
upvoted 0 times
Rene
11 days ago
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Wouldn't it be better to use a more secure port like 443, which is used for HTTPS? That way, the remote connection would be encrypted.
upvoted 0 times
Rupert
13 days ago
I agree with Daniel. Port 5900 is the obvious choice here. It's the standard port for remote desktop access, which is exactly what the technician needs to troubleshoot the high CPU usage on the servers.
upvoted 0 times
Daniel
15 days ago
This question seems pretty straightforward to me. If we need to open a port for remote access, the logical choice would be port 5900, which is commonly used for VNC (Virtual Network Computing) connections.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel