Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam N10-008 Topic 1 Question 45 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's N10-008 exam
Question #: 45
Topic #: 1
[All N10-008 Questions]

A technician is troubleshooting airport about network connectivity issues on a workstation. Upon investigation, the technician notes the workstation is showing an APIPA address on the network interface. The technician verifies that the VLAN assignment is correct and that the network interface has connectivity. Which of the following is most likely the issue the workstation is experiencing?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

DHCP exhaustion is a situation where the DHCP server runs out of available IP addresses to assign to clients. This can happen due to misconfiguration, malicious attacks, or high demand. When a client requests an IP address from the DHCP server and does not receive a response, it may resort to using an APIPA address, which is a self-assigned address in the range of 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254. APIPA addresses are only valid for local communication and cannot access the internet or other networks. Therefore, a workstation showing an APIPA address indicates that it failed to obtain a valid IP address from the DHCP server, most likely due to DHCP exhaustion

Contribute your Thoughts:

Marica
8 days ago
Hmm, interesting point. But wouldn't a DNS server outage be more likely to cause connectivity issues, rather than just an APIPA address? I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Unless, of course, the DNS server is also handing out DHCP leases or something. Nah, I'm sticking with option B - rogue DHCP server.
upvoted 0 times
Elenor
9 days ago
I'm not so sure about that. An incorrect subnet mask could also cause an APIPA address, couldn't it? I mean, if the workstation can't get a valid IP from the DHCP server, it'll just default to that APIPA range. Maybe option D is the way to go here.
upvoted 0 times
Catalina
10 days ago
I agree, a rogue DHCP server seems like the most likely culprit here. If the network interface is working fine, and the VLAN is correct, then the issue must be with the DHCP server itself. Although, I suppose it could also be a DHCP exhaustion scenario if the server can't keep up with the number of clients.
upvoted 0 times
Sue
11 days ago
Hmm, this seems like a tricky one. If the workstation is showing an APIPA address, that usually indicates a problem with DHCP - either the server is down or there's a rogue server on the network. I'm leaning towards option B, a rogue DHCP server, since the technician verified the VLAN assignment and network connectivity.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel