Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Cisco Exam 300-710 Topic 1 Question 83 Discussion

Actual exam question for Cisco's 300-710 exam
Question #: 83
Topic #: 1
[All 300-710 Questions]

An engineer must investigate a connectivity issue from an endpoint behind a Cisco FTD device and a public DNS server. The endpoint cannot perform name resolution queries. Which action must the engineer perform to troubleshoot the issue by simulating real DNS traffic on the Cisco FTD while verifying the Snarl verdict?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

The Capture w/Trace wizard in Cisco FMC allows you to capture packets on an FTD device and trace their path through the Snort engine. This can help you troubleshoot connectivity issues from an endpoint behind an FTD device and a public DNS server, as well as verify the Snort verdict for the DNS traffic. The Capture w/Trace wizard lets you specify the source and destination IP addresses, ports, and protocols for the packets you want to capture and trace, as well as the FTD device and interface where you want to perform the capture. You can also apply filters to limit the capture size and duration.After you start the capture, you can ping the DNS server from the endpoint and then view the captured packets and their Snort verdicts in the FMC web interface2.

To use the Capture w/Trace wizard in Cisco FMC, you need to follow these steps2:

In the FMC web interface, navigate to Troubleshooting > Capture/Trace.

Click New Capture.

Choose an FTD device from the Device drop-down list.

Choose an interface from the Interface drop-down list.

Enter the source and destination IP addresses, ports, and protocols for the packets you want to capture and trace. For example, if you want to capture DNS queries from an endpoint with IP address 10.1.1.100 to a DNS server with IP address 8.8.8.8, you can enter these values:

Source IP: 10.1.1.100

Source Port: any

Destination IP: 8.8.8.8

Destination Port: 53

Protocol: UDP

Optionally, apply filters to limit the capture size and duration. For example, you can set the maximum number of packets to capture, the maximum capture file size, or the maximum capture time.

Click Start.

Ping the DNS server from the endpoint and wait for some packets to be captured.

Click Stop to stop the capture.

Click View Capture to see the captured packets and their Snort verdicts.

The other options are incorrect because:

Performing a Snort engine capture using tcpdump from the FTD CLI will not allow you to trace the path of the packets through the Snort engine or verify their Snort verdicts.Tcpdump is a command-line tool that can capture packets on an FTD device, but it does not provide any information about how Snort processes those packets or what actions Snort takes on them2.

Creating a Custom Workflow in Cisco FMC will not help you troubleshoot a connectivity issue from an endpoint behind an FTD device and a public DNS server. A Custom Workflow is a user-defined set of pages that display event data in different formats, such as tables, charts, maps, and so on.A Custom Workflow does not allow you to capture or trace packets on an FTD device3.

Running the system support firewall-engine-debug command from the FTD CLI will not allow you to simulate real DNS traffic on the FTD device or verify the Snort verdict for that traffic. The firewall-engine-debug command is a diagnostic tool that can generate synthetic packets and send them through the Snort engine on an FTD device.The synthetic packets are not real network traffic and do not affect any connections or policies on the FTD device4.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Hmm, the Snort engine capture could be interesting, but I'm not sure it's the best approach here. We're specifically looking to simulate the DNS traffic, and the Capture w/Trace wizard seems like it's designed for that purpose.
upvoted 0 times
Haha, Chara, you're not the only one! This sounds like a question straight out of a Cisco certification exam. I'm just hoping I can make it through this without accidentally configuring a router or something.
upvoted 0 times
Kimbery
23 hours ago
I agree, the Capture w/Trace wizard seems like the most straightforward approach. It should allow us to capture the traffic and see what's happening with the DNS queries. Although, I do wonder if the Snort engine capture might give us some additional insights.
upvoted 0 times
Chara
2 days ago
I'm a little confused by all these Cisco-specific terms. Can someone translate this question into plain English for me? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole 'Snort verdict' thing.
upvoted 0 times
Ronnie
2 days ago
Okay, let's break this down step-by-step. We have an endpoint that can't perform name resolution, and we need to simulate real DNS traffic on the Cisco FTD to investigate the issue. I think the Capture w/Trace wizard in Cisco FMC might be the best option here.
upvoted 0 times
Mozell
3 days ago
Hmm, this question is a bit tricky. I'm not sure if I fully understand the context here. Can someone explain what the Snarl verdict is and how it relates to troubleshooting the DNS issue?
upvoted 0 times
Lashon
3 days ago
Hmm, the 'system support firewall-engine-debug' command sounds promising, but I'm a bit skeptical about how well it would capture the real DNS traffic. I'm more inclined to go with the Capture w/Trace wizard as well. It seems like a more targeted approach.
upvoted 0 times
Vicente
4 days ago
Ooh, the Capture w/Trace wizard, huh? That's a new one to me. I was thinking of going with option D and running the 'system support firewall-engine-debug' command directly from the FTD CLI. But I'm open to other suggestions.
upvoted 0 times
Chantell
6 days ago
I agree, this question requires some specific knowledge about the Cisco FTD device. I'm leaning towards option B, using the Capture w/Trace wizard in Cisco FMC. It sounds like that would allow us to capture and analyze the DNS traffic directly on the FTD device.
upvoted 0 times
Lai
7 days ago
Hmm, this question seems a bit tricky. I'm not too familiar with the Cisco FTD device and its troubleshooting capabilities. But I think the key here is to simulate real DNS traffic while verifying the Snort verdict.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel