Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CertNexus Exam AIP-210 Topic 6 Question 15 Discussion

Actual exam question for CertNexus's AIP-210 exam
Question #: 15
Topic #: 6
[All AIP-210 Questions]

You are implementing a support-vector machine on your data, and a colleague suggests you use a polynomial kernel. In what situation might this help improve the prediction of your model?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

A support-vector machine (SVM) is a supervised learning algorithm that can be used for classification or regression problems. An SVM tries to find an optimal hyperplane that separates the data into different categories or classes. However, sometimes the data is not linearly separable, meaning there is no straight line or plane that can separate them. In such cases, a polynomial kernel can help improve the prediction of the SVM by transforming the data into a higher-dimensional space where it becomes linearly separable. A polynomial kernel is a function that computes the similarity between two data points using a polynomial function of their features.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Mari
13 days ago
I'm with Candidates 1 and 2 on this one. The polynomial kernel is all about that non-linear magic, and that's exactly what we need when the data doesn't play nice with linear models. As for the other options, they just don't seem as relevant to the question at hand.
upvoted 0 times
Sommer
15 days ago
Haha, Beata, you always know how to lighten the mood. But in all seriousness, I think option B is the way to go here. The non-linear nature of the polynomial kernel is the key benefit when the categories are not linearly separable.
upvoted 0 times
Beata
16 days ago
Haha, I can already imagine the debate we're going to have about this one. Guys, let's not forget that the polynomial kernel is also great for adding a little spice to our models. Who doesn't love a good polynomial curve, am I right?
upvoted 0 times
Brynn
17 days ago
Ooh, this is a tricky one. I was thinking option D might be correct, since the polynomial kernel can help capture interactions between features. But I suppose that's not the primary reason to use it in this case.
upvoted 0 times
Adell
19 days ago
I agree with Pamella. The polynomial kernel can help capture non-linear relationships in the data, which is crucial when the categories are not linearly separable. Saving computational time or having a Gaussian distribution of the dependent variable are not directly related to the use of the polynomial kernel.
upvoted 0 times
Pamella
21 days ago
Hmm, this question seems to be testing our understanding of the fundamentals of support-vector machines. The polynomial kernel is often used when the data is not linearly separable, so I'd say option B is the correct answer.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel